Friday, January 22, 2021

January 22, 2021

January 22, 2021 

A crow visited the backyard this morning. I’ve been putting out peanuts for the Jays for some time now. They call to me when they want to be fed, and on a few occasions, I’ve caught them peeking into the bedroom window to see if I’m there. A squirrel has learned of our routine and often waits behind the foliage of the wall, before claiming his share. But this morning a crow showed up. 

Lisa heard his call first, thinking it the squirrel who often chirps in protest of the dogs and cats who may be watching. It was the percussive clicking trill that Miyazaki forest creatures make - and crows. He was perched on a strand of fairy lights, looking at the nuts, the surroundings - as I lifted my phone to take a picture he flew off. Perhaps I spooked him, but he now knows where we are. 


One of my goals for last year was to friend a crow. So many of my goals were left undone last year as the pandemic struck, this was more a fanciful wish. But today, a crow came to visit - messenger from Odin? A happenstance perhaps, but I take it as a sign, things are changing and the things I have been unable to accomplish seem possible again.

No comments:

Post a Comment