Sunday, June 14, 2020

June 14, 2020

June 14, 2020 

We actually dined out this weekend - and honestly I remain conflicted about it. On the one hand it was great to go to a familiar place, see the same faces (albeit masked) and get to catch up like old friends. Also great to hear, “shall I get your favorite beer” to have indulge the fantasy that everything is back to normal again. Of course it’s not. 

We went in that in between time that is neither lunch nor dinner so social distancing wasn’t a problem. In fact as a patron I felt safer dining than I do when I walk the dog, with people out walking or having graduation parties on their front lawns - I’m constantly crossing the street, reversing course, or just stepping up a driveway to minimize contact. But that’s the selfish perspective - the risk isn’t to the patron, it’s to the server who get to deal with patrons who take the rules less seriously. 

Again, I have the privilege to work at home, to be safe, and still have an income. The people working these jobs don’t have that luxury and are stuck pretending everything is fine to the shittiest of clients. So I did my part, to perpetuate the capitalist machine, to contribute to the local economy, to generate income for my neighbors and participate in their exploitation. I hope we find better ways as we work through this.



No comments:

Post a Comment