Sunday, September 20, 2020

September 20, 2020

September 20, 2020 

I’m one who believed that Ruth Bader Ginsberg was one of our last remaining breaks to keep our nation from slipping into fascism so my emotions this weekend are of grief. I grieve for RBG, but also for a nation that I used to believe took the moral high ground (yes still reconciling with my idealized and propagandize education). It’s a loss of innocence , that we would all act in a way to uphold a moral right, that we are all inherently good. 

 I know that’s strange coming from someone who’s a quite a bit of a moral relativist, but I struggle all the time with “what is the right thing to do?” mostly I side with the existentialists, that we must create our own set of meaning and values for ourselves. I confess, occasionally I have been seduced by Nietzsche and the will to power. I see that explicitly expressed in the current administration despite it cloaking itself in Christian sackcloth. That hypocrisy troubles me. It’s inauthentic to the core Personally though, i feel both soiled and foolish for being duped - presuming that there still might be those who valued integrity. 

The social contract can only work if we all keep our word. It’s the only way to “win”’the prisoner's dilemma as an environment of distrust condemns us all. If the morality of this nation is to be the will of the strong, then we must be stronger. More so, we must also be merciless those currently in power as they’ve proven their unreliability. 

 I hope I am wrong in my pessimism and that we can somehow return to our ideals, that we can look at one another in good faith, that we are working for a common good. But I fear greater conflict is coming before we can have a conversation again.

No comments:

Post a Comment