Sunday, May 31, 2020

May 31, 2020

May 31, 2020 

Helicopters overhead as stores within walking distance are being looted, nowhere near where protests Took place earlier today. Fireworks echo and plums of smoke fill the air from local fires. People Complained about “safer areas home” mask requirements for Covid 19 and now we’re in a real lockdown as the National Guard deploys. 

We just bought ourselves a giant TV so we could read subtitles more comfortably and now we watch the news, pointing out the familiar places being looted and burned. We invested in our anxiety, as coverage continues we will not sleep. 

I know these fears, this discomfort pales in comparison with those with less privilege, but I’m disappointed that we got to this point where the shops and restaurants that made up my community, that suffered from Covid, now face this obstacle which may just destroy them. I knew we would never come out of this the same, but there were still parts of the community that I hoped would endure. Now I’m not so certain. I hope we find a way out of this, and I hope we can preserve the good that once existed before this. Right now, I grieve.



No comments:

Post a Comment