Sunday, April 26, 2020

April 26, 2020

April 26, 2020 

Today's major accomplishment was making Potato salad. It seem the Weeknd’s have become a time for us to explore the comfort foods of our past. Last week Lisa took on Beef Stroganoff. This week I took on my mom’s potato salad. My mom never wrote down any of her recipes so what I have comes from an oral tradition captured by my nieces in conversations they had with my mom in her kitchen. 

Right from the beginning I got myself into trouble by not paying attention to the amounts of the ingredients. Six potatoes - I saw that after I had cut up the whole bag and put them on to boil. How many where in the bag? 12? 18? I don’t know - guess I should just triple everything to keep the ratios right? If there were 18? 

Honestly, I think this is the way my mom used to cook, knowing sort of what she needed and adding what seemed right - or suddenly remembering an ingredient to add. I did that too as I had to keep moving my salad into ever larger bowls. In the end, I made something decent, which is good since we’ll be eating it for lunch for at least a week, and saw at least one thing to completion - and I’m sure if she were still around she’d be looking on with a combined expression of pride and amusement. Cheers Oma



No comments:

Post a Comment