Wednesday, April 8, 2020

April 8, 2020

April 8, 2020 

Today’s newsfeed included images of the demolition of LACMA as they clear away the old buildings to make room for the new. I suppose this is an ideal time to get this job done as museums are now closed to the general public, but it still pains me to see it happen for a number of reasons. 

I have a sentimental attachment to the structures coming down. Lisa and I saw so many great exhibits there, and have great memories of just occupying that space, discovering real treasures. It seems weird that we will never enter those spaces again. 




It’s also troubling in a time when museums are closed and we can’t see art, that a museum is being torn down. I know we’re promised a new museum (one that carries many other criticisms that I won’t get into here) but in these uncertain times I think it’s reasonable to wonder if that too will be interrupted. 

I miss seeing art. I know many places have pushed out their virtual collections, but there is something about experiencing works in person, to experience their scale, their details, or just being in their presence. One of my favorite things to do when working downtown was to take long lunches and visit MOCA or the Broad - to sit in the room of Rothko’s, to discover something new. I hope to be able to do that again

No comments:

Post a Comment