Friday, April 3, 2020

April 3, 2020

April 3, 2020 

I have the COVID-19 Worldometer bookmarked on my phone and check it several times a day. At the same time, I’m archiving any email that mentions Covid 19 before I ever read them - Ads, bank, updates from politicians, random notices from websites I may have visited. I archive them because I think they’ll become artifacts of this time. I don’t read them because I already know the messages: “We’re doing our best,” “we’re here to support you,” “here are some things you shouldn’t be doing,” “here are some things you should...” 

Honestly, some of these messages I ought to read, the tips to keep me sane, let me know I’m not alone, acknowledge the weird space we’re in. But my to-do list is already full of things I’m not doing. A package of lightbulbs sits on a counter underneath the lamp it’s intended to replaced, the basket of weeds I pulled that just need to be dumped in the bin, the laundry - is the laundry ever really “done ?” So I regard these messages with a bit of resentment, asking me for time I’d rather not give. 

Still, I’ve archived them - so they’re all there if I want to take a peak. Most likely though, I’ll keep them unread for some anticipatory nostalgia in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment