Saturday, March 14, 2020

March 14, 2020

March 14, 2020 

I started reading Camus’ the Plague and am finding it ridiculously relevant. One of the classic titles that somehow I missed and was still allowed a BA in philosophy. Add it to the pile of works I should have read well before my 58th year. I bought it because we were going to Paris and I thought it an ironic take, which of course now is embarrassing to mention. So here trip cancelled, I read and know this is exactly the book I need to read now. 

I had errands to run today, vet visit, get food for the dogs, maybe see if the panic buying had ceased. So I ended up at Trader Joe’s to see its shelves and freezers emptied. I found it easy to joke with the employees about the absurdity of it all, as I did with the nurses yesterday - it’s hard not to laugh about it a sort of selbst-schadenfreude, gallows humor, we’re dancing at the end of the world, the recognition that something is beyond our control so no longer have to worry about it. 

But here we are, our actions have consequences that we may never understand or even witness. We try to do the right thing even as we struggle to figure out exactly what that is. May our choices serve us and the greater good (if that exists) and allow us the pleasure of sharing our stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment